Crystal Ski Holidays is passionate about working with Disability Snowsport UK (DSUK) and since summer 2009 has raised more than £170,000 for the charity. On September 10, DSUK will be presented a cheque for £64,000 which Crystal employees raised during the last winter season, beating the amount raised the previous season by £9,000.
Crystal’s overseas and UK employees organised events throughout the year to support the charity and Crystal customers donated generously.
• Crystal Christmas and Summer party donations;
• Team Austria have raised over €34,000 this winter, through hundreds of activities including slave auctions, fancy dress skiing and lift pass deposit donations;
• The team in France organised fun filled activities including everything from clothes and activities auctions to pub quizzes raising nearly €23,000. The team in Val Thorens helped to contribute an amazing €80 just by having an office swear jar, whilst the whole team in Alpe d’Huez managed a flippin’ brilliant €1111.44 from their 21 bends walk, and Team La Plagne raised over €700 at their end of season barbecue!
• Team Italy ran various events throughout all resorts (race nights, bikini skiing, auctions & BIG prize giveaways) to contribute €11,182.00 to the overall total.
• Crystal Ski Holidays customers donated over £5000 directly towards the new DSUK campaign ‘Make a Million Friends’.
Fiona Young, CEO DSUK said: “I’m speechless, and that doesn’t happen very often! It’s an amazing total, to increase year on year is fantastic. We realise that it’s still tough out there financially for everyone and there so many good causes that deserve donations, so we really appreciate all the hard work and fantastic support that come from your staff and customers. I can truly say that without Crystal’s support over the last five years DSUK would not be here now. People outside the snowsports fraternity say the charity isn’t lifesaving, I disagree, what we are is life enhancing and what is a life if it’s not enhanced! From everyone at DSUK a huge thank you for all your continued support.”
During the last four winter seasons, over 40 Crystal Ski Holidays managers gave a week of their time to travel to resorts and help DSUK give disabled skiers and boarders the chance to experience a winter sports holiday.
“The trip for me has to be one of the most memorable weeks of my life. I met so many amazing people, the skiers, the carers and the instructors who not only made the week so fun, but also made me feel part of something that was so unique and very special. Six months later, I am still telling friends and family the many stories of that week and the bond that we all made as well as always being very thankful to them all for helping me also improve my confidence on the mountain.”
Vanessa Mulholland, Destination Executive.
“I would definitely return on another DSUK trip, due to having such an amazing time this year! It was an honour to be asked to go and to spend a week with some amazing people. It was incredible to see the skiers improve each day and build so much confidence whilst the instructors were fantastic ensuring both skiers and helpers felt comfortable on the mountain. It wasn’t just any old ski trip, my best one yet!”
Lindsay Matthews, Web Operations Executive.
Note on Disability Snowsport UK (DSUK)
Disability Snowsport is the UK’s leading charity providing access to adaptive skiing and snowboarding for people with disabilities. Their work changes lives with therapeutic, physiotherapy and social benefits, allowing individuals who take part to develop new skills which they can transfer to their everyday life.
To take part in a sport such as skiing or snowboarding there are numerous barriers to overcome, including access to slopes, access to specialist equipment and one to one instruction. The charity aims to give people with disabilities access to snow sports at a cost equivalent to that which an able-bodied person would pay.