This year marks the 50th anniversary of The Sound of Music, the most successful film musical in history, which first captivated audiences in 1965. It was thanks to this Hollywood movie that Salzburg City, home to so many of the most famous shooting locations, became truly world-famous.
Visitors from all over the world use the opportunity to see the locations in the city of Salzburg and many of them dream of following Maria’s footsteps at least once in their life. As the movie was only recorded in English, many Austrians are a little bit puzzled for the interest it creates as most of them have not seen it. However, if you want to test the movies’ worldwide popularity, just start humming a few of the famous tunes and songs like ‘Edelweiss’ wherever you are and, within a moment, you will be joined by complete strangers. Try it!
Now, for your visit to Salzburg, here are the locations where the film was shot:
- The Benedictine Convent on Nonnberg: nuns sing ‘Maria’
- Mirabell Gardens and Mirabell Palace: Maria and the children sing ‘Do-Re-Mi’
- Felsenreitschule: here, the Trapp Family performed its farewell song and Baron von Trapp sang ‘Edelweiss’
- St. Peter’s Cemetery: it was here that the dramatic flight scenes were filmed
- Leopoldskron Palace: the façade facing the lake represented the von Trapp residence
- The Sound of Music Pavillon: can be found at Hellbrunn Palace today, in the movie it was still located at Leopoldskron Palace. One of the most famous and romantic scenes was filmed here: ‘I am 16 going on 17′
Other scenes were filmed outside of the city, for example at Werfen Castle, Mondsee, Fuschl, St. Gilgen and Lake Wolfgang.
Crystal Summer offers a free Salzburg day trip for all adults (save £28 per adult) who are booked to either St Wolfgang, St Gilgen or Fuschl am See travelling between now and end of September 2015 in addition to £50 off per booking. Book by 1 June 2015.
Prices are from £340 per person (based on two sharing; save £240 per person) for a week’s half board at the three-star Hotel Leifer in St Wolfgang, including flights from Gatwick and transfers departing on 27 June 2015. Direct flights available from all major UK airports. Price includes £50 off per booking and a free Salzburg day trip per adult (www.crystalsummer.co.uk; 020 8939 0739).