As Crystal Ski Holidays reveals its top five spots for guaranteed snow this Easter, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) is offering tips on how to get the most from a trip whilst staying safe on the slopes.
It is important to recognise that a range of hazards can arise during any winter sports trip and although some can’t be avoided, travellers need to be well prepared to avoid getting caught in a slippery situation.
Crystal’s top five spots tipped for snow include:
- Tignes & Val d’Isère – offering some of the best skiing in Europe with guaranteed snow all season long. Espace Killy also boasts great off-piste skiing and board parks.
- Val Thorens – as Europe’s highest skiing resort, Val Thorens is one of the best places for snow on the continent. What’s more, with hidden gems Orelle and La Masse on your doorstep, there are miles of skiing on offer.
- Sölden – featured in the latest James Bond film, Spectre, and with two glaciers – Sölden is a unique spectacle and tipped for snow this Easter.
- Obergurgl & Hochgurgl – the highest parish in Austria and with broad open slopes that merit a late season visit, Obergurgl and Hochgurgl will be a sure bet for snow during the holidays.
- Zermatt & Cervinia – spectacularly situated beneath the majestic Matterhorn, Zermatt and Cervinia offer fantastic skiing, picturesque surroundings and lively nightlife.
Paul Rodwell at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: “We want everyone to #SkiSafe this Easter and enjoy their holiday.This means following our top ten tips. Sadly accidents do happen and here at the Foreign Office we would prefer that people enjoy their holiday rather than spend it in hospital or worse. Prevention is definitely better than cure.”
Crystal Overseas Director Nikki Hooper commented: “Although it started slowly in places, this season has produced some fantastic snow fall and great conditions for skiers of all abilities. However, no matter what the weather, accidents can happen. That’s why we encourage all winter sports enthusiasts to stay safe in the mountains and take out winter sports travel insurance for their holiday.”
Ten top tips from the FCO to #SkiSafe:
- Take out comprehensive travel insurance with winter sports cover and check what it covers
- If heading to Europe, travel with a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to get free necessary treatment at public hospitals
- Make sure your passport is valid before you travel
- Check the FCO’s travel advice for the country you are visiting
- Keep up to date with the local weather conditions before you go and while you’re in resort
- Stick with your mates when walking back to your hotel or chalet and follow the signed paths
- Only ski off-piste if you are a confident skier, aware of the risks and are with a qualified guide
- Wear a helmet
- Remember the effects of drinking alcohol increase at altitude – your judgment, coordination and reaction times may be affected
- Make sure you and your friends know that in an emergency, the number to call is 112 in Europe and 911 in USA
Images ready to download here http://we.tl/fk0zcjx0wM
For further information please contact
Marion Telsnig, Crystal Ski Holidays, 020 8939 5027, firstname.lastname@example.org or
020 3697 4389, email@example.com
Notes to Editors
About FCO ‘Know Before You Go’ campaign
The FCO ‘Know Before You Go’ campaign targets a number of audiences, from gap year students to package holidaymakers; sports fans to older travellers and people visiting friends and family abroad. The campaign works with more than 400 travel industry partners to communicate its messages. For more information visit www.gov.uk/knowbeforeyougo.
If you have any enquiries for FCO consular staff before you go or while abroad you can use the FCO’s Twitter service @FCOtravel. Questions are answered 9am-6pm GMT, Monday to Friday and FCO staff aim to respond within 30 minutes. This service adds to the ways that British people travelling or living overseas can already get in touch with the FCO: by emailing our travel advice team or contacting local consular staff.
Crystal Ski Holidays
www.crystalski.co.uk; 020 8939 0726